100 Way To Reinvent Your Life Part 1
When I sat down to write my 101 Things list I decided that I needed to make a huge change in my life. I included a bunch of things that would push me out of my comfort zone while at the same time helping me achieve some of my goals. With that in mind I decided to make a list of 100 ways that you can reinvent your own life.
1. Create a space for you: This area is just for you. You decorate it. You and only you use it. It is an area for you to relax, work on a project, have an identity. A small and simple as it might be it is an area that you can go to and collect yourself.
2. Choose to see the good: We are surrounded by the bad everyday. Turn on the news and hear the latest horror story. Driving in the car the radio is having a debate about everything in politics. It’s endless and seeing the bad in people is easy. Instead look for the good. Believe in the compassion in man kind. Watch for the strangers holding open door. People who smile at you for no reason. The random compliments for passersby. Than start looking at those who are volunteering to pick up trash, work at soup kitchens, or even to walk for a cure. When you see the good in the world it is easier to find happiness. Trust me, the good is out there. It just doesn’t make the evening news.
3. Find a mentor: What are you trying to achieve in life? Maybe it is something at work, at home, or in your personal life. Find someone who can show you how to accomplish whatever it is that you want to do. What them. Ask questions. Grow and learn.
4. Stop taking things for granted: It’s usually the things and people are in our everyday life that this happens with. It becomes a norm. It is only when that person or thing are gone do we realize how much it meant to us. Stop taking things for granted and see how it enriches your life.
5. Love what is in the mirror: This is the hardest thing anyone can do, but when we can look in the mirror and honestly be comfortable with ourselves. Remember you are a beautiful person no matter how many pounds you want to lose, or if your nose was a bit straighter, or if our lips were bigger. Tell yourself that every day. One day you may finally believe it.
6. Surround yourself with positive: Positive people, positive thoughts, positive affirmations have powerful effect on our feeling. Turn off the negative thoughts. Put distance between you and the negative people.
7. Be the change: In South Africa I met a woman in a township who opened a B&B. She told me that when Aparthide ended things were a mess. The government was working to right the wrongs of the past, but action was slow. There was a lot to straighten out and it may be many more years before she got help. So instead she decided to be the change. She took control of her destiny and opened a B&B. In the end it created a flow of revenue for her, her community, and helped shine a light on what was happening in the Townships to the world. We can all wait for someone else to solve our problems or right the wrongs, but sometimes we need to take control and be the change that we are looking for.
8. Take naps: There is a point each day when my daughter gets cranky. She whimpers, cries, and doesn’t want any of her toys. It’s nap time for her. When she wakes up there is a smile on her face and she is ready to take on the world. Maybe you need a nap too.
9. Step outside your box: There is something to said about being in a comfort zone. Humans are creatures of habit. We like to have a certain level of control. Try stepping out of that box. Broaden your horizon. Explore some place new. Try a new hobby. Try something new. Do something that scares you.
10. Accept who you are: This one is difficult, but you can’t truly be happy until you are happy with who you are.
11. Love: It makes the world go round. Besides it is a lot easier to love than hate. It’s hard remember everyone you hate and why.
12.Treat yourself: You work hard. The best way to derail stress is to remember to treat yourself. Do something nice for because you deserve it.
13. Don’t make mountains out of mole hills: Raise your hand if you are guilty of this. I sure am. There use to be nothing I liked to do more than to make a small thing snowball into a much bigger issue. It didn’t matter what it was a problem, a comment, or even nothing at all. Yes, I was addicted to drama. It was exhausting.
The best way I got rid of it was to leave it out of my life. I put distance between myself and those who liked to create it. I decided to stop being defensive when someone offered a solution to a problem I had. I looked for answers and tried them instead of looking for road blocks. Did I miss the drama? Sure, but there is a great solution for it: reality TV. As far as I’m concerned let the stars of VH1 reality shows have all the drama. I will just watch thank you.
14. Get to know your neighbors: It’s a great way to build community and meet some awesome people. Plus it is an extra set of eyes watching out for you and your house and an extra set of hands to feed your cat when you are away.
15. Work on the qualities you want: I’m not a natural with conversations. I’m shy, I’m awkward, and never know what to say. R and Bug are a freaking social butterflies. They could start a conversation with a tree. Well, Bug has at least… This is a quality I want. So, I watch, learn and try to mimic. If you see someone who has a quality that you are missing talk to them about it. Watch them and learn.
16. Face your fears: Fears are those little voices in your head. It those “what ifs” and “but how would I?” Stop it right now. Start small and work your way up. I’m not saying that if you are afraid of heights and planes to go through yourself out of one. Maybe start by looking out the window of a tall building. But whatever you face those fears. Once you over come them it is a great sence of accomplishment and sense of having control.
17. Say thank you: Do you hear this enough? I sure don’t! I can never hear it enough. Remember that. Tell the people around you thank you. It feels great to say and hear. Maybe you will start a trend.
18. Know when to step back: This is hard. In some situations there comes a time when we have to step back. We can’t control the situation. It may be just out of our hands or a situation where it is no longer healthy to be part of. It shouldn’t be seen as giving up or loosing control. It’s saying enough is enough. There is nothing that you can do to change the situation. The best thing is now to step back.
19. Trust yourself: We hear the naysayer everyday, but how right are they? Your ideas, your thought, your opinions are not worth less than theirs. Trust your gut. Act on your intuition. If something doesn’t feel right act on it. If you have a great idea at work speak up. What’s the worst that could happen? If you are wrong you are wrong but what it you aren’t?
20. Stop listening to people who put you down: They aren’t worth it. They aren’t your friends. They don’t care about you. They aren’t worth your time. Just step back from the situation for a moment and look at them. Really look. Why are they are putting you down? Most likely they are trying to build themselves up. Misery loves company. Pity them, but for goodness sake don’t listen to them.
21. Drop the bad habits: Mine is sugar. R’s is smoking. Both habits which we would be better off cutting back on or eliminating. What about you?
22. Find something that gives your life meaning: We all need something that gives us a reason for getting up in the morning. Maybe your children, your work, maybe you are working for a cause, or are traveling. What ever it is figure out what defines you and figure out how to get it.
23. Exercise: Love your body. Not only will your body be happy but exercising can fight off the onset of certain illnesses, helps you focus, get balanced, feel happier, relieve stress. Really not seeing a downside here.
24. Laugh more: Mainly because it is just a fun thing to do.
25. Learn a new skill: Is their something that you always wanted to learn? Maybe a new language, how to knit, how to take photos together, hike more… Get out there and do it. Sign up for a night class or find a group get out there and do it!
So, here are the first 25. The rest of the list will be posted over the next week. Have you tried any of these? Which was the easiest or hardest for you?