How To Be Happy Now
Have you ever woken up on the wrong side of the bed or just had one of those days where karma seems to be out for blood? Well, try these six things to make you happy right now.
1. Declutter your life to declutter your mind- It is impossible to relax and be calm when everything around you is in shambles. Really how relaxed can you be when all that you can think is “the sink is full, the garbage is overflowing, I lost my cat in the pile of laundry last week, and good God I don’t want to know is growing over there.” There is something to be said for having a clean house and work space. Repetitive actions such as sweeping and wiping can be calming. Plus it is nice to know that there is one less task on your plate. So, if you are stressed and want to try this method out I will offer my apartment for anyone who wants to try some repetitive cleaning therapy.
2. Think Positive- Count your blessing, look in the mirror and find all of the positives about yourself, or just think of three good things that happened during your day no matter how small. The best way to chase away the negative is by seeking out the positive.
3. Exercise- Exercise isn’t just for counteracting the affects of doughnuts. Think about how you feel after exercising or even just stretching. Does your body feel better? Do you feel looser? Do you feel better about yourself? You should. Exercise increases endorphins which help make you happy. It also help you sleep better (a good nights sleep effects happiness levels) and it improves your self-esteem. Go positive body image.
4. Smile- What? Yes, smile. Try it. Happy? Dare I say giddy yet? Smiling helps elevates your mood even when not happy.
5. Try laughing Okay, now that you are smiling try laughing. Remember the time you fell up the stairs or when your cheerleading skirt fell down in the middle of the football field during half time performance? No, just me? Okay, embarrassed now, but seriously think of something funny or just look here, here, and oh don’t forget here.
Why does this work? Well remember those endorphins? By laughing your body releases endorphins and other please inducing hormones while lowering stress hormones.
6. Change Your Eating Avoiding certain foods like sugar or man-made carbohydrates, which although very tasty not so good for your happiness and are more likely to bring on bouts of depression. Instead go for low-fat dairy products, bananas, turkey, and soy which all boost you serotonin levels and improve your overall mood. Also try introducing Omega-3 into your diet which can be found in fish and tuna. Omega-3 helps with tiredness, poor memory, dry skin, heart problems, mood swings, and depression.
When I’m down I smile and think of everything that makes me happy. What do you do? What makes you happy?